Preface To No. 3
I have been requested by several priests to prepare an abridgment of the
"Explanation of the Baltimore Catechism" that would be suitable as a classbook
for children who have been confirmed or who have completed the study of the
Baltimore Catechism No. 2. The "Explanation" itself contains more matter than
some of these children can master and it costs a little more than many of them
can afford to pay. I have, therefore, selected from the list given in the back
of the "Explanation" a large number of the more practical and important
questions, to which I have added others, with answers, as full, brief and simple
as the matter will permit. These questions and answers are added to those of the
Baltimore Catechism No. 2, but with such distinction in type that all may see
they are not a part of the Catechism prepared by the Council, but only a
development of its meaning.
Whenever questions on the same subject are repeated in the book their object is
to bring out some new point or to show their connection with the subject-matter
Rev. Thomas L. Kinkead
- The Lord's Prayer.
- The Angelical Salutation.
- The Apostles' Creed.
- The Confiteor.
- An Act of Faith.
- An Act of Hope.
- An Act of Love.
- An Act of Contrition.
- The Blessing before Meals.
- Grace after Meals.
The Lessons of the Catechism
- On the end of Man
- On God and His Perfections
- On the Unity and Trinity of God
- On Creation
- On Our First Parents and the Fall
- On Sin and Its Kinds
- On the Incarnation and Redemption
- On Our Lord's Passion, Death,
Resurrection and Ascension
- On the Holy Ghost and His Descent Upon the Apostles
- On the Effects of the Redemption
- On the Church
- On the Attributes and Marks of the
- On the Sacraments in General
- On Baptism
- On Confirmation
- On the Gifts and Fruits of the Holy
- On the Sacrament of Penance
- On Contrition
- On Confession
- On the Manner of Making a Good
- On Indulgences
- On the Holy Eucharist
- On the Ends for which the Holy Eucharist
- On the Sacrifice of the Mass
- On Extreme Unction and Holy Orders
- On Matrimony
- On the Sacramentals
- On Prayer
- On the Commandments of God
- On the First Commandment
- The First Commandment -- On the Honor
and Invocation of the Saints
- From the Second to the Fourth
- From the Fourth to the Seventh
- From the Seventh to the Tenth
- On the First and Second Commandments of
- On the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth
Commandments of the Church
- On the Last Judgment and Resurrection,
Hell, Purgatory and Heaven